Greetings! I’m so glad you are here. We are getting into a subject today that I find many Christian Bloggers struggle with. The word “Brand” is seen an awful lot in Blog Land but most of the time when we see it we think it doesn’t pertain to us because we aren’t selling a product or service. The truth is Branding has a lot to with how we will impact an audience and it will help carry the message we are trying to get across.
What Is Branding?
Your Brand is who you are and what people can expect from your website. This is including but not limited to your Logo, color scheme to your blog, font choices, graphics for your posts, and image choices.
You might be telling yourself that having a brand isn’t really relevant to your blog because your writing speaks for itself. You are right! Your writing is the cornerstone of your Blog. Without it, Branding won’t do any good. Your content is the most important thing because that is how you share the Gospel.
However, branding does help you to become recognizable across various platforms. It gives your blog a cohesive, organized look and it appeals to your reader’s eyes.
When confronted with the option to visit two blogs who are posting similar content, which one will you choose? The well put together one? Or the sloppy one?
How Can You Create a Brand?
It’s actually easier than you think to create a brand. Make it something that you love to visit yourself. If you love it, your readers are more likely to as well.
What colors do you enjoy looking at? What are some of your favorite places to visit?
When choosing my brand I chose something that I can look at all day, everyday…the beach. I use muted beiges, blues, greens, and whites. I chose what I love so therefore it makes it super easy for me to find images and filters in colors that work well with each other.
God’s glorious work is the best sources of inspiration for a color scheme in my opinion. There is the forest, the jungle, the sunset, prairies, desert…the list is endless.
Once you make your choice, You start implementing this color scheme into your logo, graphics, font colors, and website colors. Once that’s done you’ll want to make sure that all of your future graphics follow suit and whatever you are posting on social media platforms flow with this brand you are creating.
What will happen next is people will start to recognize you from your graphics alone. You will have a brand!
What If You Already Started Blogging Without a Brand?
(The following may contain affiliate links)
The good news is it’s never too late to start a brand and clean things up.
My first question to you is are your social media graphics bringing a good amount of traffic to your blog? Are they grabbing your reader’s attention? If you’ve hardly seen any traffic then you might be ready for some change.
Canva is my absolute favorite resource for creating graphics for my Blog. It is super easy to navigate and they have plenty of pre-made graphics that you can make your own with just a few minor tweaks. It takes some practice at first but once you get the hang of it you’ll be able to create a graphic in 10 minutes or less.
When it comes to stock images for my brand I purchase most of them on Creative Market. Sometimes I’ll use free images from Pexels or Pixabay too but they usually don’t have a very good selection of mock-up photos to choose from.
Do You Need Some More Ideas?
There are plenty of places to draw inspiration from when creating a brand.
Have you ever searched “Mood Boards” or “Branding Boards” in Pinterest? There are countless amounts of ideas to choose from.
If you feel like going a different route you can ask yourself this question. What are my hobbies?
You could give your blog a crafty theme, a nautical theme, or a sporty one.
I’d say the most important thing is that you choose a brand that compliments your blogging niche and name of your website. What I mean by that is if you post about marriage than you may want to stick with soothing whites. If you blog about raising children then vibrant colors would work well, and so on and so on.
The Steps to Create Your Brand
- Choose a color scheme – Choose 3-5 colors that will be represented in your brand. Write down their code in a place you won’t forget (more on this in a bit). That way anytime you want to use this color in a font or graphic you have a reference of the same exact color to use in different editing programs. Implement these colors into your blog elements, such as fonts, images, backgrounds, and/or your header.
- Choose your fonts – Select 3-5 fonts that you will use on your blog, logo, and graphics.
- Create a Logo – Create or buy an image that represents your site/company/blog. This will be what is in your header and should include the colors and fonts that you have chosen for your brand. Don’t freak out about this because you can have a temporary logo until you find one you love. For instance, I’m not super crazy about my logo yet so I’m just using the one I have now until until I either create or purchase another one.
- Create cohesive graphics – Ideally, your graphics should be recognized across several social media platforms as belonging to you. They should be similar in appearance and should contain your colors, fonts, and logo (or blog url).
- Use images that flow with your brand – From here on out you should be using photos that don’t clash with your brand, but compliment it. Choose images that have your colors in them. Hint – What is awesome is there are plenty of filters you can add to images to help create the color you want, paid or free depending on which photo editor you use.
Branding IS a Big Deal
We have a responsibility to get our message out for the world to see. That message is about Jesus, and for that reason alone, shouldn’t we be giving it our all? The Lord has created us as visual people who have the capacity to be creative. Branding creates an interest and invites our audience to experience the message beyond the beauty. The message of our Lord.
If you need some encouragement and support while on your blogging journey then please join me over at Married By His Grace‘s new Facebook Group for Christian Bloggers. It’s called By His Grace Bloggers. We will be discussing all facets of blogging while giving each other prayer and Godly counsel along the way. It really is something that I’m excited to be a part of. Be sure to check it out!
I really hope these tips have inspired you to create a brand for your blog. If you have any questions please feel free to ask!
Many blessings to you!